In order to be eligible for driving in Thailand you need an international Driving License. If you have an international driving license you are allowed to drive for 6 months on an international driving license. In order to stay for a longer period in Thailand you require a Thai Driver's License. A Thai Driving Licence can be obtained at the Thailand Transportation Department in Bangkok only if you possess a valid International Driving Licence which has been issued in the country of your nationality or residence.
Except for those persons that have a driving license from Malaysia, Laos and Singapore irrespective of their citizenship.
For those without an International Driving License, a local Thai license can be obtained against the Driving License of their respective country at the Land Transportation Department
If you want to make a Thai driving license then you will have to request at the land transportation department. You will require the following documents:
1. Fill in the application form (issued in Thai language only) and attach the required documentary evidence.
2. Join a class for instruction on the laws related to driving and how to drive safely in Thailand. The class is for two hours (two classes are held daily, Monday to Friday, at 09:00 and 13:30) at the Department of Land Transport in Bangkok or at the provincial Transport Office. Foreigners unable to speak Thai should arrange for a Thai friend to accompany them to provide interpretation.
3. Take a test for colour blindness.
4. Take a written test (in Thai language only) on the rules of driving .
5.Take the driving test
You must be 18 years old to drive car in Thailand
A Thai driving license is valid in the following countries:
Having a Thai driving license is of great advantage if you don’t have an international Driving License and you can drive in the following countries with a tourist visa.
IF you would like to apply for an international driving license then you will require the following documents:
1. Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa
2. Letter of current residence certified by an Embassy of your Country.
3. Thai Driver's License (Private Motor Car).
4. 2 Photographs, 2 X 2 inches
Please feel free to contact us regarding any legal services or visit as at our office. We will be more than happy to assist you.